Do more, without just working more—with Windows 11 Pro!
Best Windows Ever
It’s head-and-shoulders better than Windows 10, at least for traditional PC users. The fact that it banishes full-screen apps and the Metro Start screen to the aether, focusing instead on the tried-and-true desktop, should be reason enough to make PC purists smile. That’s just the tip of the iceberg, though. If you’re fresh to Windows 11, these are the cool new features you’ll want to check out first.
Productive from the start
Improve your focus with a simpler, more intuitive experience and effortless navigation. Get things done with fewer steps using the refreshed Start, Taskbar, and Navigation Center.
Powerhouse protection out-of-the-box
Modern threats require modern security with a strong alignment between hardware and software to help keep data safe and devices protected. Secure from the start, Windows 11 offers protection right out of the box with powerful, built-in hardware-based security.
Consistent for IT
App compatibility and cloud management make adoption easy. Built on the consistent and compatible Windows 10 foundation, Windows 11 can be managed with your familiar tools and processes.
To install or upgrade to Windows 11, devices must meet the following minimum hardware requirements:
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with two or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or system on a chip (SoC).
- RAM: 4 gigabytes (GB) or greater.
- Storage: 64 GB* or greater available storage is required to install Windows 11.
- Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later, with a WDDM 2.0 driver.
- System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable.
- TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0.
- Display: High definition (720p) display, 9″ or greater monitor, 8 bits per color channel.
- Internet connection: Internet connectivity is necessary to perform updates, and to download and use some features.
* There might be additional requirements over time for updates, and to enable specific features within the operating system. For more information, see Windows 11 specifications
Some features in Windows 11 have requirements beyond those listed above. See the following list of features and associated requirements.
- 5G support: requires 5G capable modem.
- Auto HDR: requires an HDR monitor.
- BitLocker to Go: requires a USB flash drive. This feature is available in Windows Pro and above editions.
- Client Hyper-V: requires a processor with second-level address translation (SLAT) capabilities. This feature is available in Windows Pro editions and above.
- Cortana: requires a microphone and speaker and is currently available on Windows 11 for Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Spain, United Kingdom, and United States.
- DirectStorage: requires an NVMe SSD to store and run games that use the Standard NVM Express Controller driver and a DirectX12 GPU with Shader Model 6.0 support.
- DirectX 12 Ultimate: available with supported games and graphics chips.
- Presence: requires sensor that can detect human distance from device or intent to interact with device.
- Intelligent Video Conferencing: requires video camera, microphone, and speaker (audio output)
- Multiple Voice Assistant: requires a microphone and speaker.
- Snap: three-column layouts require a screen that is 1920 effective pixels or greater in width.
- Mute and unmute: from Taskbar requires video camera, microphone, and speaker (audio output). App must be compatible with feature to enable global mute/unmute.
- Spatial Sound: requires supporting hardware and software.
- Microsoft Teams: requires video camera, microphone, and speaker (audio output).
- Touch: requires a screen or monitor that supports multi-touch.
- Two-factor authentication: requires use of PIN, biometric (fingerprint reader or illuminated infrared camera), or a phone with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth capabilities.
- Voice Typing: requires a PC with a microphone.
- Wake on Voice: requires Modern Standby power model and microphone.
- Wi-Fi 6E: requires new WLAN IHV hardware and driver and a Wi-Fi 6E capable AP/router.
- Windows Hello: requires a camera configured for near infrared (IR) imaging or fingerprint reader for biometric authentication. Devices without biometric sensors can use Windows Hello with a PIN or portable Microsoft compatible security key. For more information, see IT tools to support Windows 10, version 21H1.
- Windows Projection: requires a display adapter that supports Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 2.0 and a Wi-Fi adapter that supports Wi-Fi Direct.
- Xbox app: requires an Xbox Live account, which is not available in all regions. Please go to the Xbox Live Countries and Regions page for the most up-to-date information on availability. Some features in the Xbox app will require an active Xbox Game Pass subscription.
Virtual machine support
The following configuration requirements apply to VMs running Windows 11.
- Generation: 2 *
- Storage: 64 GB or greater
- Security: Secure Boot capable, virtual TPM enabled
- Memory: 4 GB or greater
- Processor: 2 or more virtual processors
The VM host CPU must also meet Windows 11 processor requirements.
* In-place upgrade of existing generation 1 VMs to Windows 11 is not possible.